A hand massage is a wonderful way to help prevent any kind of pain, but especially hand pain. The good thing about a hand massage is that you can do this yourself and it is very easy to do.
Here is how you can give yourself a hand massage:
- Make sure that you have clean hands.
- Slightly shake your hands and wiggle your fingers to release any tension.
- Rub some coconut oil on the hand you wish to massage.
- With your palm facing up, gently push down on the tips of your fingers with your other hand. Do this a few times. This will stretch your ligaments.
- With your thumb and forefinger, pinch the tips and bottoms of each finger and gently squeeze from side to side.
- When you have done that for all 5 fingers, hold your hand and place your thumb in the middle of your palm.
- Then gently push and massage all the areas of your palm, concentrating on the base of your fingers and the soft areas on your hands between your fingers. It is also good to push and massage the center of your palm.
It is good to use either coconut oil or avocado oil because both of these oils are scientifically proven to have anti-inflammatory properties. The journal Pharmaceutical Biology published a report showing that extra virgin coconut oil has an inhibitory effect on chronic inflammation and also moderate analgesic effects. Another option for your massaging routine is to find a great topical analgesic lotion that contains beneficial ingredients to reduce pain, strain, tension, or cramping. Some great ingredients to look for would be Aloe Vera, Arnica, Menthol, Capsicum, and more. When you massage the hands with a pain relieving lotion that also battles inflammation and relieves tension, you are performing two beneficial tactics at once and will more than likely find fast relief.