The first depot in Billings was constructed in 1909 and was used by the Northern Pacific and Great Northern railroad companies. The depot in Billings easily held around 200 passengers. It included a gentleman’s smoking room, a ladies waiting room, and various services for food and drink. By 1914, Billings was home to more than 10,000 people, nearly all of whom had traveled by railcar. The railroad tracks were thoroughly extended in several directions and the population continued to grow. With the rise in population came many industrial services for the railroads, all of which increased commercial services in the town like banking, telecommunications, and many other profitable businesses.